Diocesan Youth Conference
Friday 02-09-2018 - Sunday 02-11-2018
What is the Diocesan Youth Conference?
The Diocesan Youth Conference is a weekend event held each calendar year to gather high school youth from all 145 parishes located in the Diocese of Richmond to one central location. The Conference is a highly energetic, engaging, and awesome opportunity for our high school teenagers to gather as a larger Church community and celebrate the amazing richness of our Catholic Christian faith.
What’s some highlights of the Diocesan Youth Conference for 2018?
- Keep costs low. With our “Super Early Bird” registration option, the fee for each youth could be as low as $120 before any other parish-based incentives.
- Diocesan Youth Choir. For our eighth year, we invite our youth to participate in our Diocesan Youth Conference Choir for our Masses at the Youth Conference. Participants will need to indicate if they would like to participate during the registration process. There will be no rehearsals prior to the conference this year.
- Sacraments. Mass will be celebrated during the weekend on both Saturday and Sunday with all attendees. In addition, the sacrament of reconciliation will be available during the course of the weekend. There will also be an opportunity for attendees to spend some time in prayer and reflection during the weekend.
- Creative Breakout Sessions. We will continue to offer more breakout sessions for adults and youth during the course of the weekend focused on particular topics that have been requested based on feedback from previous years, including several panel-type discussions.
Who should attend the Diocesan Youth Conference?
The Conference is open to youth who are in 8th through 12th grade for the 2017 – 2018 academic year. No college-aged students may attend the Youth Conference. These individuals should be encouraged to attend the College Summit. We ask all youth leaders to use appropriate pastoral judgment to determine if their 8th graders are mature enough to socially and spiritually be fully present to the conference.
Where and when is the Diocesan Youth Conference?
The Diocesan Youth Conference will be held on Friday, February 9 through Sunday, February 11, 2018 at the Richmond Marriott Downtown in Richmond, Virginia.
All youth and adult participants will be housed in the Richmond Marriott Downtown hotel located at 500 East Broad Street in Richmond. However, depending on registration numbers this year, several overflow hotels have been identified near the Richmond Convention Center that parishes may be assigned to if necessary. All hotels are within walking distance.
I’ve heard that college students will be participating in the Diocesan Youth Conference? Is that true?
Yes and no. As was the case last year, the “Summit” will be happening concurrently with the Diocesan Youth Conference this year at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. While most activities will remain separate, both the high school youth and college students will gather together for our Saturday morning Mass. All college students will have hotel accommodations in an off-site location. All registrations for the Summit are independent from the Diocesan Youth Conference.
A college student in our parish is attending the College Summit, can they travel with our parish to Richmond?
No. While the College Summit and Diocesan Youth Conference are both happening in Richmond, the start and end times, as well as the start location for each event is very different. We are unable to accommodate transportation around Richmond for College Summit participants who travel with your parish. In addition, we cannot allow college-aged students to attend the Diocesan Youth Conference, including staying in hotel rooms with youth or adult participants from the Youth Conference.
Are we participating in a service project this year?
As been the tradition for the past several years, the Diocese is partnering with “Helping Hands” to package meals to support our brothers and sisters in impoverished countries who are in need. Each participant and parish are asked to prayerfully consider making a donation, in addition to their registration fee, to support this important project. The more money that is contributed, the greater impact our Diocese can have to support those in need. A donation request will be included as part of the registration process.
What is the theme this year?
The theme this year is Truly Present. You can learn more about the theme and download the logos here.
What is the registration fee?
Because of generosity of the Diocesan Annual Appeal this year, we have been able to discount our prices this year and offer additional incentives. The registration fee per participant is listed below:
|Base Registration Fees:|
$195 (based on 4 youth per room)
$225 (based on 3 youth per room)
$275 (based on 2 youth per room)
$220 (based on 2 adults per room)
$325 (based on 1 adult per room)
|Super Early Bird Discount:||
$75 off registration fees listed above
*if entered online by November 7, 2017 at midnight
|Early Bird Discount:||
$50 off registration fees listed above
*if entered online by December 19, 2017 at midnight
|NEW Parish Participant:||
$200 credit for the parish invoice
*if no youth members of the parish attended in 2017
**note: to qualify the parish must send at least 5 youth and 1 adult chaperone
|Parishes who increase the number of their youth participants at the 2018 youth conference over their 2017 participation will receive the following incentives (Note: this only applies to youth participants, and the numbers are based on the paid and attended numbers from 2017 as recorded by the Office for Evangelization)|
|25% increase from 2017 Youth Conference:||$50 credit for the parish total invoice|
|50% increase from 2017 Youth Conference:||$125 credit for the parish total invoice|
|100% increase from 2017 Youth Conference:||$250 credit for the parish total invoice|
$110 for cancellations made between December 5, 2017 and January 9, 2018
No refunds for cancellations made on or after January 10, 2018, regardless of reason
Friday Evening Dinner:
Sunday Box Lunch:
|Determined by individual/parish (for Helping Hands project)|
Please note the following:
- Registration closes on January 10, 2018 at 3:00 pm.
- Any registrations not fully completed in the online system will not qualify for the super early bird or early bird rates. This includes any names that are not correctly entered or anything entered as “TBD”.
- The Diocese also has needs-based funding for individuals and parishes who need financial support. Please contact Mike School for more details.
What does this registration fee cover?
The registration fee will cover lodging on Friday and Saturday evenings at the Richmond Marriott. In addition, Saturday breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as Sunday breakfast are included. T-shirts and a light snack on Friday night are also included in the registration fee.
What is the lodging situation?
Each room at the Richmond Marriott is a room which contains 2 queen-size beds. Each room will be assigned 2 adults OR 4 youth of the same gender unless your parish opts for smaller numbers of participants per room. The Office for Evangelization will combine parishes with odd numbers to maximize the room allocations.
In addition, the Diocese has reserved meeting rooms in the hotel that will be used for parish evening gatherings as well as a main meeting point for adult chaperones.
All participants are required to stay at the Richmond Marriott for security reasons. There is NO day-only option available this year.
How do I get to Richmond?
Transportation is the responsibility of each parish to coordinate. The Office for Evangelization can assist parishes by advertising additional spaces on buses that may be available, but we cannot provide financial support for these available seats.
What are the requirements for adult chaperones?
For this event, 1 adult is required for every 8 youth who are participating in the Diocesan Youth Conference. In addition, adult chaperones must be at least 21 years of age. Each adult chaperone must be in compliance with the Diocesan Safe Environment Policies, which includes completing the following:
- Screening One Volunteer Form (every 5 years)
- VIRTUS training (once)
How do I register and what are the registration deadlines?
All youth must register through their parish youth coordinator OR Catholic school coordinator. The registration process includes three steps:
- Medical Form: Print out and distribute the medical form for YOUTH participants and ADULT chaperones. A copy should be maintained by the youth coordinator in case of emergency. DO NOT SEND THESE TO THE OFFICE FOR EVANGELIZATION.
- Register Participants via the Online Registration System (available soon): If you are a youth coordinator, contact the Office for Evangelization via email or phone (804-622-5159) to get your username and password for the online registration system. All registrations must be entered online by January 10, 2018 at 3:00 pm.
- Send payments to the Office for Evangelization: All payments should be sent as soon as the participant is registered. When sending in your payment, be sure to include your parish/school name and the list of participants for whom the payment applies. Any unpaid invoices will be sent to the parish in May 2018.
Will there by caps on registrations this year?
There are NO caps for registration. We ask that you provide at least 1 adult for every 8 youth attendees. If you cannot cover the adult requirement, you are able to partner with other parishes.
Will marketing and promotional materials be available for my parish?
Yes! Our promotional YouTube video is available below.
Where do I go for questions or additional support?
For all questions or support, contact the Office for Evangelization directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org OR 804-622-5159.
500 East Broad Street
Richmond, VA 23219