Steubenville Youth Conference
Friday 07-07-2017 - Sunday 07-09-2017
What is the Steubenville Atlanta Youth Conference?
As a part of the outreach efforts of Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio, the Steubenville Summer Youth Conferences provide a unique opportunity to gather with teenagers from across the nation in Catholic community. The conference combines awesome talks, incredible music, praise and worship, time for prayer and fellowship, entertainment and liturgies. Since 1976, Franciscan University has sponsored youth conferences across the United States. This year, there will be 21 different conferences held throughout the United States and Canada that will host over 36,000 young people. At some conferences, Franciscan University partners with other Catholic youth organizations to host the conference. The Diocese of Richmond will attend the Steubenville Atlanta Youth Conference, which is co-sponsored by Life Teen, Inc.
Who should attend the Steubenville Atlanta Youth Conference?
The Conference is open to all high school-aged youth (rising 9th graders through graduating 12th graders).
Where and when is the Steubenville Atlanta Youth Conference?
The Steubenville Atlanta Youth Conference will be held on Friday, July 7 through Sunday, July 9, 2017 at the Infinite Energy Center (6400 Sugarloaf Parkway; Duluth, GA 30097).
All youth and adult participants will be housed at hotels located about 8 minutes from the Infinite Energy Center. Depending on registration and room availability, lodging is subject to change.
What is the theme?
This year’s theme is Elevate, based on the scripture verse: “Behold, I make all things new” (Revelation 21:5). From His throne in heaven to the depths of your heart, these words of Jesus are an invitation for you to receive the new life that He alone can give. He is longing to elevate your life above the things of this world — to help you overcome fear, anxiety, confusion and doubt. He wants to break the things that hold you down and give you freedom from sin. He is calling you to follow Him and enter into a transforming experience with His love, grace, and mercy! He can make you new! This summer, join over 50,000 other Catholic teens at one of our 25 youth conferences and experience the joy of following Christ and being elevated by His love.
What happens from when we arrive on Thursday night to the start of the conference on Friday?
The Diocese has decided to leave on Thursday rather than Friday to ensure that all participants are well-rested for the start of the conference on Friday afternoon.
On Friday, all participants will participate in a Diocesan Day of Preparation so that we can prepare for the conference together as a Diocese. The activities will include:
- Daily Mass
- Parish and small group gatherings
- Tubing adventure down the Chattahoochee River. Participants should pack a modest one-piece swimsuit, a t-shirt/tank top to prevent sunburn, sunscreen, a towel, and watershoes (optional).
After the Diocesan Day of Preparation, all participants will be transported to the Infinite Energy Center to begin the conference.
What are the costs?
The cost for this youth conference is $405 per adult or youth participant. This cost includes the conference registration, bus transportation, hotel lodging, and a social event for all participants. In addition, t-shirts, lunch on Friday, and snacks (i.e., pizza) on Friday and Saturday nights are included. All aspects of registration for the conference (including conference registration and Friday’s activity) will be done completely through the Office for Evangelization.
- To help offset the cost of the transportation and lodging fee, the Diocese will offer a $50 credit to offset the total parish costs for every 5 participants (adult or youth) who are registered up to a $1,000 credit per parish. In addition, more scholarship assistance is available because of the Annual Appeal funds. Please contact Angie Pometto directly for information.
2017 Additional Fees:
- Substitution Fee: $30
- Late Fee: $30 (for any additions on or after May 17, 2017)
- Any cancellations on or before May 16, 2017 will receive a full refund.
- There will be no refunds for any cancellations on or after May 17, 2017. Participants who cancel during this time frame will be responsible for the full fee.
- All cancellations must be received in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No cancellations can be taken over the phone.
IMPORTANT: Due to the popularity of this event, the Office for Evangelization cannot guarantee admission to the conference for any registrations submitted after May 16, 2017. If registrations occur after this date and there is no space available for the conference, the fees will be refunded to the parish.
What is the transportation situation?
Included with your registration fee is bus transportation to and from Atlanta, as well as transportation during the duration of your stay in Atlanta. All buses will depart on Thursday, July 6, 2017 from a designated location within approximately a one hour drive from your parish. The buses will leave on Thursday morning (at a time to be determined) and leave from Atlanta at approximately 1:00 pm on Sunday, July 9, 2017. In most cases, the bus trip is approximately 8 to 10 hours in length.
Once registration is complete, each parish group will be assigned to a particular bus and bus route. This is when the specific pick-up locations and times will be defined. Each bus will have an assigned bus captain who will be responsible for coordinating bus rules, bus snacks, and meal stops, etc. with the parish leaders on their assigned bus. This information will be available by July 1, 2017.
What is the lodging situation?
Each room in the hotel will contain both 2 queen-size beds, 2 queen-size beds and a pull out sofa, or 1 king-size bed and possibly a pull out sofa. Rooms with the queen-size beds will be assigned 2 adults OR 4 youth of the same gender. Rooms with 2 queen-size beds and a pullout will be assigned 6 youth of the same gender. Rooms with the king-size beds will be assigned to only married adults, if possible. The Office for Evangelization will combine parishes with odd numbers to maximize the room allocations.
Since these are standard hotels, linens and towels are provided for all participants. It is encouraged for your participants to bring additional sleeping bags if they would prefer to sleep on the floor.
Can I participate in only a portion of the diocesan trip (i.e. take our own cars and not ride the bus)?
In order to receive the diocesan rate and participate in the trip, participants must partake in all aspects of the trip. For liability reasons, parishes cannot opt to ride separately or stay in other accommodations and still be considered part of the diocesan experience.
What are the requirements for adult chaperones?
For this event, 1 adult is required for every 8 youth who are participating in the Steubenville Atlanta Youth Conference. Each adult chaperone must be in compliance with the Diocesan Safe Environment Policies.
For volunteers, this includes completing the following:
- Screening One Form (every 5 years)
- VIRTUS training (once)
Please note that parish employees and Catholic school employees have additional screening that must be completed.
IMPORTANT: The Office for Evangelization will compile one list of adults from the Diocese for Safe Environment Regulations. This will be signed by Human Resources once all safe environment information has been confirmed.
How do I register and what are the registration deadlines?
The registration process includes these steps:
- Each participant needs to complete the Diocesan – Steubenville ATL Registration Form. This form is necessary to complete the online registration and must be completed by each participant. No other forms, including the forms from LifeTeen or Steubenville, are required to be completed.
- Register Participants Online (by 5/16/17 @ 11:59 pm to ensure admission to conference): Register each individual that will be attending the conference. Remember, you must have the completed participant forms in order to register for the conference online.
- Send Rooming List to Office for Evangelization (by 6/7/17): Each parish leader needs to submit a rooming list, using the “Steubenville ATL Parish Rooming List Template” to the Office for Evangelization via email to email@example.com. Rooms should include 4 youth of the same gender or 2 adults of the same gender or married couples. Priests should be placed in a single room.
- A deposit of $50 per participant should be mailed to the Office for Evangelization postmarked by June 7, 2017. Remaining fees will be invoiced to the parish after the event. (send checks payable to “Catholic Diocese of Richmond” and postmark to: Office for Evangelization, Catholic Diocese of Richmond, 7800 Carousel Lane, Richmond, VA 23294)
PLEASE NOTE: Group leaders must bring the Diocesan – Steubenville ATL Registration Form with them to the Youth Conference. NO forms should be sent to the Office for Evangelization.
Where do I go for questions or additional support?
For all questions or support, contact the Office for Evangelization directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org OR 804-622-5159.
LocationInfinite Energy Center
6400 Sugarloaf Parkway
Duluth, GA 30097