Southwest Youth Retreat
Saturday 12-02-2017 - Sunday 12-03-2017
What is the Southwest Youth Retreat?
This retreat is an opportunity for high school youth from Southwestern Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee to participate in a retreat experience in their area. The retreat will include activities, talks, and prayer experiences. It will be a chance for youth to get to know each other and grow in their relationship with Christ and the Church.
Who should attend the retreat?
This overnight retreat is open to all students currently in high school, grades 9-12.
What is the theme?
The theme for the Office for Evangelization this year is Truly Present.
Where and when is the retreat?
The retreat will be held Saturday, December 2, through Sunday, December 3, at Camp Bethel Retreat Center, 9050 Camp Bethel Rd, Wise, VA.
Participants should arrive on Saturday between 9:30-10:00 am. All parents and families are invited to join us at 1:45 pm on Sunday for our closing Mass at 2:00pm. The retreat will end after Mass at 3:00 pm.
What are the requirements for adult chaperones?
For this event, parishes MUST send at least 1 adult for every 8 youth. Each adult chaperone must be in compliance with the Diocesan Safe Environment Policies.
For volunteers, this includes completing the following:
- Screening One Volunteer Form (every 5 years)
- VIRTUS training (once)
Note: Parish employees and Catholic school employees must complete additional screening.
What are the responsibilities of adult chaperones?
Adult chaperones will participate in the retreat, help lead small groups, and help lead various activities.
What is the lodging situation for the High School overnight retreat?
All participants will have a bed but should plan on bringing a pillow and either a sleeping bag or sheets and blanket.
What are the costs?
This fee covers retreat materials, lodging, and meals:
- Youth Participants:
- Early Bird (registered on or before November 10, 2017): $25
- Regular Registration (registered after November 10, 2017): $40
- Adult Participants: $15
Cancellation Fee: No refunds regardless of reason after November 20, 2017. Any substitutions will incur a $10 fee.
What should we pack?
Pack comfortable, appropriate, and modest clothing, jacket or coat, sneakers, pen, rosary, Bible, a journal, toiletries, towel, bedding supplies (sleeping bag or sheets with blanket), and pillow.
How do I register?
All youth must register through their parish youth coordinator. The registration process includes three steps:
- Registration Form: Print out and distribute both the ADULT and YOUTH Registration forms.
- DO NOT SEND THESE TO THE OFFICE FOR EVANGELIZATION. The adult leader should hold on to the registration forms and carry them for the duration of the retreat so that they have the release form, medical information, and emergency contact information on hand for each of their parish participants.
- Register Participants via the Online Registration System:
- Registration will open by September 15, 2017.
- All registrations must be entered online by November 10, 2017 at 11:59 pm to receive the early bird pricing.
- Parishes MUST send at least 1 adult for every 8 youth.
- Payment: Checks should be made to the Catholic Diocese of Richmond and sent to:
- Catholic Diocese of Richmond; Office for Evangelization; Attention: Southwest Youth Retreat; 7800 Carousel Lane; Richmond, VA 23294
- Be sure to include your parish/school name along with a list of participant the payment is for.
- Any registration fees not collected will be invoiced after the event.
Cancellation policy: Cancellations made after November 20, 2017, will not receive a refund. All cancellations must be made via email to email@example.com.
Where do I go for questions or additional support?
For all questions or support, contact the Office for Evangelization directly via email OR 804-622-5159.
9050 Camp Bethel Road