Middle School Day Camps
Monday 07-09-2018 - Friday 07-27-2018
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
What is a Diocesan Middle School Day Camp?
The Office for Evangelization offers a week-long day camp experience for middle school youth. The goal of the camp is to bring together middle school youth from area parishes to build community, grow in knowledge of the faith, and encounter Christ through prayer and sacrament. This high-energy camp is filled with fun games, service activities, small group discussions, time for prayer, and a trip to a water park.
Who should attend the Diocesan Middle School Day Camp?
The Middle School Day Camp is open to all rising 6th, 7th, and 8th grade youth for the 2018 – 2019 school year.
What is a Diocesan Middle School Day Camp Counselor?
Although the day camp is run by adults, high school students serve as counselors throughout the week to help with the activities. Rising 11th grade, 12th grade, or college freshman are eligible to apply to be a counselor. All counselors will step into a role of leadership for the camp, which includes the responsibility to be a good Christian role model for the campers. Interested youth should turn in application form to their parish youth minister. There are limited spaces for camp counselors.
Where and when is the Middle School Day Camp?
This year, the camp will be held in three locations across the Diocese:
Church of the Epiphany
11000 Smoketree Drive
Richmond, VA 23236
|Monday, July 9 to Friday, July 13, 2018||9:00 am to 4:00 pm|
Virginia Beach / Norfolk
Saint Pius X
7800 Halprin Drive
Norfolk, VA 23518
|Monday, July 16 to Friday, July 20, 2018||9:00 am to 4:00 pm|
Our Lady of Mount Carmel
100 Harpersville Road
Newport News, VA 23601
|Monday, July 23 to Friday, July 27, 2018||9:00 am to 4:00 pm|
What is the theme?
This year’s theme is “Jesus, HIStory.” The middle school youth will come to a better understanding of the story of Christ in History from the Incarnation to his Death and Resurrection.
What is the registration fee?
The registration fee per participant is listed below. The registration fees below include a discount due to the generous donations of the faithful of the Diocese of Richmond to the Diocesan Annual Appeal.
|Middle School Youth Participants||$140|
|Camp Counselor (High School/College) Participants||$25|
Other Fees and Discounts (only applies to Middle School Youth Participant Registrations):
|Early Bird Discount (registrations entered online by May 31, 2018)||$15 off registration cost|
||$0 (full refund of registration fees)
No refund, regardless of reason for cancellation
What does the registration fee cover?
The participant registration fee covers the following:
- Admission to Day Camp
- Lunch Monday through Friday
- Ticket and transportation to/from water park or pool
- T-Shirt featuring the theme logo
If registrant has a season pass to the water park or pool for that particular camp, a discount will be given to the participants after the conclusion of the Middle School Day Camp.
What are the requirements for adult chaperones?
For this event, 1 adult is required for every 8 youth who are participating in the Middle School Day Camp. You may not have more than 1 adult for every 6 youth, unless there is a special circumstance. If the ratio is exceeded, you may be charged an additional fee. Each adult, unless tasked with something, is expected to participate in the camp. Each adult chaperone must be in compliance with the Diocesan Safe Environment Policies, which includes completing the following:
- Screening One Volunteer Form (every 5 years)
- VIRTUS training (once)
Camp counselors who have turned 18 must also complete these requirements. Please note that parish employees and Catholic school employees have additional screening that must be completed.
How do I register and what are the registration deadlines?
All youth must register through their parish youth coordinator OR Catholic school coordinator. The registration process includes three steps:
- Registration Form: Print out and distribute the registration form for YOUTH and ADULTS. A copy should be maintained by the youth coordinator in case of emergency. DO NOT SEND THESE TO THE OFFICE FOR EVANGELIZATION.
- Register Participants via the Online Registration System: If you are a youth coordinator, contact the Office for Evangelization via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (804-622-5159) to get your username and password for the online registration system. All registrations must be entered online by June 21, 2018 at 11:59 pm.
- Send payments to the Office for Evangelization: All payments should be sent as soon as the participant is registered. When sending in your payment, be sure to include your parish/school name and the list of participants for whom the payment applies. Any unpaid invoices will be sent to the parish in the fall of 2018.
PLEASE NOTE: Cancellations received on or after July 1, 2018, are non-refundable, regardless of reason for cancellation.
Where do I go for questions or additional support?
For all questions or support, contact the Office for Evangelization directly via email at email@example.com OR via phone at 804-622-5159.