The Catholic Church relies on scouting to provide for wholesome outdoor experiences that develop character, fitness, and spiritual growth. Many parishes, schools, and lay organizations in the Diocese of Richmond sponsor Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, co-ed Venturing Crews, Trail Life USA, Girl Scouts, and American Heritage Girls. Our goal is to provide resources and information on the many opportunities available to Catholic scouts and adult leaders to strengthen their faith, including religious emblem programs for scouts of all ages and annual retreats. There are two committees representing the Diocese of Richmond that make up the working advisory bodies involving Catholic Scouting. In close collaboration with these committees, the Office for Evangelization is committed to:
- Offering Religious Emblem Facilitator training to provide certification for counselors who wish to facilitate Religious Emblem awards for their scouts
- Holding annual regional Scout Masses to honor Catholic Scouting throughout the Diocese and to recognize specifically those youth and adults who have earned religious emblems each year
- Offering annual events as need arises that help to augment the experience scouts are having in their local unit
- All adult volunteers working with youth in the Diocese of Richmond are required to complete a Volunteer Application Form including a confidential reference screenings and criminal background checks. Your parish office can assist you with this process.
- Additionally, all adult volunteer participants must complete the Diocesan Safe Environment Virtus Training. To register for the Virtus Training, go on www.virtus.org to register for a training session in your area. For additional Virtus information, contact the Office of Human Resources at the Pastoral Center or by phone at 804-359-5661.
All troop leaders involved with Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, American Heritage Girls, or Trail Life are asked to take a few moments to update your information with us. We are compiling a more accurate database of the people involved in Catholic scouting in the Diocese of Richmond so as to better serve the scouting community.
For more information, please call our office at 804-622-5159 or send us an email at email@example.com.